Thursday, September 10, 2009

Professional Squash in Madison

Things are hotting up here in Madison. We will be hosting a professional tournament the week of October 19th through 25th.

We got on the PSA calendar on Friday of last week and as of today we have 25 entrants ranging from 55 in the World to 399th. It's pretty fascinating. Anyway, we're scrambling to set up accommodation and an amateur tournament as well. I'll blog a little about it as we go.

The tournament will be a $6000--it's a just a pittance for guys who are traveling around the globe to play squash. Even so, I'm amazed at the demand this kind of event creates.

2 comments:

SquashRochester said...

Good luck with your first super sat!
We, here in Rochester, NY have had our super super sat event for the past 8 years and its always a fun event to run. Check out http://www.rocprosquash.com. It really is amazing the distances these guys travel given the lowly prize money we are able to offer. Makes me mad when I see the HUGE purses for tennis and gold events.
Anyway, good luck with the event and I look forward to seeing pictures and news from it.
Best,
Mithun, another squash buff
PS: Love all the stuff you're doing for squash in Madison. Hope the club is doing well and the membership has taken off. You have MY dream job!

Madison Squash Workshop said...

Thanks Mithun! It is a dream. I think of that every time I'm cleaning the toilets, mopping the showers, and vacuuming!!! My commute from work to my lunch time squash match is about 18 feet. Gotta love that.

Thanks for your support! It's going to be a fun event for sure.